How To Deal With Burnout
We know the speed of GO-JEK. Not only things are to be done fast, but also with good quality. We already have 14 services and plan to launch more. We’re excited to turn our ideas into reality. And we want to continue to raise the bar. But often times, we are faced with situations that don’t meet our expectations. That, and on top of giving our 100% all the time, pushing our own limits can turn into burnouts.
I discover some articles that state burnout happens more to those below 30. Interesting, because most GO-JEK employees are under 30. Even without that, burnout reduces productivity and saps our energy, leaving us feeling increasingly helpless, hopeless, cynical, and resentful. Eventually, we may feel like we have nothing more to give.
As Go-Troops, we push and push and push ourselves. At times, we don’t even realize that we’re experiencing burnouts. And while we feel young and strong, in the long term, this might be a backlash.
Let’s find out what is burnouts really means, and how we can get out of it.
What does burnout really mean?
Burnout means a state of emotional, mental, and physical exhaustion caused by excessive and prolonged stress. It occurs when we feel overwhelmed, emotionally drained, and unable to meet constant demands. As the stress continues, we begin to lose the interest or motivation that led us to take on a certain role in the first place. Stress can bring optimum performance, but too much stress is not good.
How can I tell if I am experiencing burnout?
- Every day is a bad day.
- Caring about your work or home life seems like a total waste of energy.
- You’re exhausted all the time.
- The majority of your day is spent on tasks you find either mind-numbingly dull or overwhelming.
- You feel like nothing you do makes a difference or is appreciated.
What triggers burnout in GO-JEK?
One PM mentions, “Burnouts can happens because of anything. But it’s easy as a PM to get burnouts because we’re always on call. If something happens on our Apps specifically, we have to respond right away. We have to deal with it.” he stated. Mostly it’s because we are expected to respond quickly and face different problems at the same time. And we don’t make enought time to rest.
So… what can we do?
Make Time For Yourself
A lot of times, we don’t realize this simple mantra can led us to avoid the burnouts. How many times do you really make a times for yourself? I meet so many passionate, ambitious, and hard working person in GO-JEK -- yet, we are often so afraid to PAUSE for a little bit. We PUSH, we PLAY, we focus on PERFORMANCE, we stay true to our PURPOSE, but do we know when to PAUSE?
These are some things that would be helpful for you to reflect:
- Put a priority on face-to-face social contact with supportive people
- Set a time each day when you completely disconnect from technology
- Move your body frequently—don't sit for more than an hour
- Make laughter and play a priority
- Reduce your intake of alcohol, nicotine, and caffeine
- Get all the restful sleep that you need to feel your best
Part of being fearless is also has the courage to give yourself time to rest, may it be putting your phone down while eating, giving yourself a couple hours of ‘off-time’ and a really good 8 hours of sleep. We want to give our best, but how good are we at taking care of ourselves?
- If you want to learn more about how to deal with burnouts, I hope these articles would help:
- Why some people get burned out and others don't
- Burnout and how to deal with it
- 10 signs you're burning out and what to do about it
- Preventing burnouts